This time of year, beauty is in mountains

I can see that I am not the only person in America looking for a "mountain fix" this summer. Some people though, have the good luck of being within driving distance for a day trip.

This time of year, beauty is in mountains - by Linda Durrett
Carolina rhododendron peaks in June, among other spectacular sights

"Grandpa, tell me 'bout the good old days; "Sometimes it feels like "This world's gone crazy "Grandpa, take me back to yesterday "When the line between right and wrong Didn't seem so hazy."

So goes a wistful song sung by Wynonna Judd yearning for the sweet times lingering only in a country memory.

My Grandpa Ralph could have been the inspiration for this song. Missing him and feeling an urge to get my "mountain fix," I headed for the Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville recently. My son and my grandson joined me. It was a journey that made new memories and conjured up long-lost ones.

One of the first places Linda speaks of is Craggy Gardens between Asheville and Mt. Mitchell on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Each of my trips through the "Gardens" have missed the peak bloom. Either we were to early or too late, maybe one day we will hit the spot just at the right time for the bloom. The one thing that always seems the same though is the fireplace in the visitors center almost always has a fire burning. So stop a while and enjoy the view before you head on down the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Source: Charlotte Observer | 06/03/2007 | This time of year, beauty is in mountains


I always enjoy the trip up to the top of Mt. Mitchell. The winds and the cooler temperatures make the coffee from the snack bar a real treat. For some reason we never dress for the summit. As we leave Asheville each year heading north we are always dressed for the heat of the valley.


0609383-R1-014-5A


This shot was taken from the top of Mt. Mitchell in early June of 2004...It has always been one of my favorite shots showing the rolling mountains into the haze. If the image looks familiar it's because I used a portion of it as my header for a long while and it now resides at the bottom of the page.

I see from the Park's website that the summit is closed this summer for construction of a new observation tower. If you plan on making a trip in tht direction, check out the website for up to date construction info.

A word of warning...Since I wont be getting into the mountains this summer, I'll be pulling out my old photos and doing a virtual visit. I hope some of you will tag along.

See ya down the Parkway...

No comments:

My Blog List