Dozens dead after Iraqi police go on killing spree | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

And we need to stay here why? When the police start killing people in revenge...

BAGHDAD — Shiite militants and police enraged by massive truck bombings in Tal Afar went on a revenge spree against Sunni residents in the northwestern town today, killing as many as 60 people, officials said.

The gunmen began roaming Sunni neighborhoods in the city, shooting at residents and homes, according to police and a local Sunni politician.

There is no law and order, there is only rage. The only thing we seem to have accomplished in Iraq is to release the pent up hate of generations and re-supplied the ammunition  needed to carry on a civil war that is rapidly degrading into un-civil genocide.

Source: Dozens dead after Iraqi police go on killing spree | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

2 comments:

Jacob P said...

Hey Gary. I came across your blog while doing some research for one of my classes. I am a college student at the University at Buffalo and I have just one question for you. You mentioned in your blog that "the only thing we seem to have accomplished in Iraq is to release the pent up hate of generations and re-supplied the ammunition needed to carry on a civil war that is rapidly degrading into uncivil genocide." While I partially agree with you on that, do you not feel that is the way the media frames the war. Clearly the media has a powerful impact on how we interpret information because it is spoon fed to us. Both Fox News and CNN have their slants, but as a whole I feel that there is much more going on in Iraq than we really know about. I find it very interesting that more and more people are staring to assume that the war is the catalyst for the unrest in Iraq. Fighting terrorism is a losing battle and to try and force deomcracy on a nation that has no will to uphold those rights and statutes is like trying to swim with weights tied to your feet.

Gary Boyd said...

Hi Jacob, I don't feel the media frames the story as much as we give them credit for. Yes, every news outlet has a slant...always have, always will. I don't think that in the past that slant was "worked" quite like it is today.

I am uncertain how to interpret your comment on Fox and CNN. I personally do not find too much I can trust on Fox. I tend to get my news and views from the old media online. To be quite truthful I lean left and find both of the mentioned networks much too right for my taste.

I find it interesting that is has taken this long for more people to open their eyes to the fact that the war is the catalyst in Iraq.

I do have a problem with equating Iraq to the "War on Terrorism". The only place the two have ever coexisted is in the speeches of this administration and it's backers. I do agree about democracy...You can't give it to any country by fiat. That only allows some other strong willed person the opening to take over a weakly set up government.

Even if we get out of Iraq in the next couple of years we will be paying the price for this fiasco for the next couple of decades. And sadly, there was no tie to 9/11...None.

My Blog List