Wednesday Morning Emails

The first thing up in my email que was the Washington Post this morning. The first headline that caught my eye was a story about the Freshman Senator from Virginia.

In Following His Own Script, Webb May Test Senate's Limits - washingtonpost.com

At a recent White House reception for freshman members of Congress, Virginia's newest senator tried to avoid President Bush. Democrat James Webb declined to stand in a presidential receiving line or to have his picture taken with the man he had often criticized on the stump this fall. But it wasn't long before Bush found him.

"How's your boy?" Bush asked, referring to Webb's son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

"I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

"That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?"

"That's between me and my boy, Mr. President," Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.

Source: In Following His Own Script, Webb May Test Senate's Limits - washingtonpost.com

It's good to see someone who isn't taken in by George W Bush's good ole boy charm for a change.

Then there is this story...

Five Years After Enron, Firms Seek Weaker Rules - washingtonpost.com

Business interests, seizing on concerns that a law passed in the wake of the Enron scandal has overreached, are advancing a broad agenda to limit government oversight of private industry, including making it tougher for investors to sue companies and auditors for fraud.

A group that has drawn support from Treasury Secretary Henry M. Paulson Jr. plans to issue a report tomorrow that argues that the United States may be losing its preeminent position in global capital markets to foreign stock exchanges because of costly regulations and nettlesome private lawsuits.

Source: Five Years After Enron, Firms Seek Weaker Rules - washingtonpost.com

As someone who lived through the Enron debacle and had family and friends affected by it, I don't see how anyone can say that the legislature overstepped. As far as I am concerned, any time that corporations are complaining about regulations, you have probably not gone far enough.

From the weather email (My-Cast Weather Center) I see the Blue Ridges are have at least a few more mild days. We on the other hand are starting out at 68 and humid and heading up for the upper 70's before a front blows through tomorrow sometime. They are saying we should have freezing temps by the weekend...You really have to love Texas weather. At least part of the time you do.

News from the Vault...New Concert On-line

Visit the Concert Vault Bruce Springsteen

Winterland; San Francisco, CA
12/15/1978

# of Tracks: 30 Total Time: 165:04

Two weeks before Bill Graham closed the doors of Winterland forever, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band played a powerhouse set that ran for close to three hours.

They also announced a new concert from Joan Baez:

Kezar Stadium; San Francisco, CA
03/23/1975

# of Tracks: 10 Total Time: 30:33

Go have a listen...These concerts are all really great...

It's time to hit the road and I've still got mail...so

Have a photo from last week...garden-at-rest

Garden at rest...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've often wondered what I would say if I met Bush.

Jim Webb is of that Scots Irish independent stock.

Gary Boyd said...

I'm afraid I would either embarrass myself or get thrown in jail should I be given an audience with his highness...

My Blog List